SENATOR JORGE EMILIO GONZALEZ TWO INITIATIVES TO PRESENT AMENDMENTS TO THE GENERAL LAW OF SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY DEVELOPMENT AND FEDERAL CRIMINAL CODE
April 23, 2013 | Author admin
Transcript VERSION OF THE INTERVENTION OF SENATOR JORGE EMILIO GONZALEZ TWO INITIATIVES TO PRESENT AMENDMENTS TO THE GENERAL LAW OF SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY DEVELOPMENT AND FEDERAL CRIMINAL CODE
With your permission Sen. President
The forests of our country are key natural resources, currently 33 percent of the national area has these ecosystems. Which give us various environmental services, such as groundwater recharge, the shelter animals and plants, climate regulation and carbon sequestration, the latter two fundamental for combating climate change.
Unfortunately, one of the environmental issues currently of most concern in the international community is deforestation.
According to the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, the main causes of the loss of forests and jungles in Mexico are the agricultural activities, followed by illegal deforestation and forest fires. Thus, these are the causes that must be fought on a priority basis by the Mexican government, responsible for ensuring the right of all people to a healthy environment for their development and well-being, in terms of article four of the Constitution.
Forest fires have contributed to the deterioration of natural resources, economic losses and have even to loss of life.
According to the National Forestry Commission, only 2 percent of forest fires are caused by natural causes, with the remaining 98 percent caused by man; of these, it is noteworthy that 15 percent is caused by fires and 10 percent of cigarette waste.
So far this year, there have been nearly 6000 forest fires, more than 115 thousand hectares of national involvement. Looking at the trends of the last fire season, at the end of this year would have been affected equivalent to 361 Chapultepec Forest or 245,000 football fields forest area.
Wildfires bring destruction of biodiversity and pollution of water, soil and the atmosphere, the effects remain for many years or are even impossible to repair, with incalculable economic and natural losses.
For decades, Mexico has been developing a comprehensive strategy for prevention and control of forest fires, through the National Fire Protection Program, in which institutions from the three levels of government and civil society.
However, efforts have been insufficient to prevent, so it is necessary to set stricter conduct relating to the underlying causes punishment still being accidental.
Considering the value of forests and jungles, this initiative aims to increase the legal protection of the forest resources of Mexico, through the following reforms:
First, the criminal law to punish the invasion of forest land have been burned, and public servants that any authorization granted in this land, establishing both behaviors as felonies.
Second, the General Law on Sustainable Forest Development in order to:
Prohibit the granting of any authorization in burned forest land; Empower the Federal Executive to enact prohibitions regarding forest land burned, and especially and most importantly increase the penalties for causing forest fires.
That’s all, Mr. Chairman.
For more about Partido Verde click here.